- As Vice Chancellor for Administration, managed day-to-day operations for WV Higher Education Policy Commission and Community and Technical College System, with about 100 employees and an overall operating budget of $120 million.
- As Chief of Staff, coordinated activities for agencies with about 1,000 employees and $100 million in annual expenditures within the West Virginia Department of Education and the Arts.
- Directed legal and human resources department for corporation.
- Former managing editor of the Washington and Lee Law Review.
- Implemented legislation to create two new state agencies: the Coal Heritage Highway Authority and the Center for Nursing.
- Reduced workforce while avoiding layoffs at two agencies over a four-year period when state appropriations decreased.
- Created weekly series of hour-long training programs for higher education central office employees.